Friday, August 13, 2010

Bugs, Spiders, and Sea Creatures oh my...



We had a girls night and went to the Dalian beer fest. It was a sight to see. Drunk Chinese people, bugs on sticks, and random variety acts being performed. I didn't get down to the festival last year and it was talked about all year. So this year I was going to see what all the talk was about. It was typical with thousands of people walking around except this time there was plenty of drunk Chinese people. Instead of regular street meat (chicken heads, hotdogs, etc) there was classy street meat...

Centipedes


Beetles and lizards


Tarantulas, silkworms, grasshoppers, and mystery insects


Bees



Veronica and Kara chose a seahorse...they both ordered one. The man behind the table quickly fried them up and salted them a little. His wife asked for the money...140 yuan (about $20)!!! We were like no way, we don't want it...finally after sign language we got them down to 100 yuan. They ate their seahorses and enjoyed every bite...lol. Not really, they said it was crunchy and the head was gooey. I am proud to say I did not try one...I think I might have lost it. It was worth the money just to see their faces and hear about it.

I also had to show you the style for men here when it is hot...simply just roll up your shirt and stick your belly out. So simple and yet so classy...


Overall it was a great night, even though I was jet-lagged and almost falling asleep at the tables. I missed my girls and it was so fun to reconnect in Chinese fashion.

No comments: