Sunday, September 19, 2010

Living Room in the Far East



I decided to participate in Kelly's Korner Show Us Your Life...Living Rooms. I know I am really late, but better late than never right?!?!

Living in China I wanted to make my apartment feel like home...it isn't quite like home, but it is my home for the time being. It's a place I love to relax and entertain. It's very simple, but I like it. I'm thankful to have a western style apartment, it is a palace compared to the apartments here. I guess my "theme" for the room is memories and travel. I have been collecting artwork at all the different places I've gone. :)


This is the view from my front door. All the furniture came with the apartment and my contract. It is pretty comfortable and a neutral color. I can definitely deal with free furniture!


The painting above my couch is from the dirt market in Beijing. I love the colors and dress of the little child. It is a traditional outfit for a minority group in China. I got it framed here in Dalian, Jess found a great framer for super cheap. I think the custom frame was less than $30 USD!



The artwork on the left I picked up in Thailand. It is carved out of cow's hide (spelling?) and was made by hand. I picked the elephant to remind me of my ride on the elephant when I was there. The one on the right is also from Thailand. I loved how simple it was. Had to get my Furman quilt in that Mama Scott made...I love curling up with it on the couch and also the memories of it.


This is the view from the corner of the room looking at the TV wall. I am still looking for a great piece of artwork to hang on it. I am hoping to find one in India or Shanghai this week!


The bookshelf is filled with pictures and books, reminding me of home and my loved ones. I can't forget my rockband set, I love to have friends over and have jam sessions. It is great in the winter when it is cold!


Of course I had to put a picture of my fishies. It's nice to have some pets. They are easy to take care of and make me happy.

2 comments:

Mrs. Carioca said...

It's really cool to see apartments in other countries!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely living space in China.
I especially love all the stories behind your art pieces.
And the fish are a great touch.