Monday, September 6, 2010

Cupping

I remember a time last year where a student of mine had a dark purple mark on his neck. Being used to DSS in the States I quickly went to Sid, my principal, thinking he was beaten at home. She just laughed and said he had a cupping done. I had no clue what it was, so I looked it up. After reading up on it, of course I then constantly saw people with perfect dark purple circles on their bodies. I was curious ever since. Last week Jess got "cupped" and I have to admit I was a little curious. I wondered what it felt like and being the competitive (crazy) person I am wondered if I could take the pain.

Now fast forward to Saturday. I was picking out what massage I wanted at my favorite massage place in Dalian and saw cupping on the menu. Why not go for it? I got my hour and a half massage and then he brings in these glass jars (almost like mason jars). I didn't look, but I had seen the process before at Fairy's place so I knew what was coming. He lit something and next thing I know I am feeling like an octopus' prey being sucked up by tentacles. It didn't really hurt at first, I was laughing because it tickled a little. But, the longer those glasses stayed suctioned to me the more pressure I felt. It was never super painful, just a little uncomfortable. Right when he put some on the man said "not good...poison". It turned purple immediately (or so I was told since I couldn't feel it). For 15 minutes I laid there and concentrated on my breathing. If I took a super deep breath, I would hear the cups clanging together. It was a good pain, like stretching when you aren't flexible. It hurts, but also feels good.


If you look at the two on each side that are the furthest out, those are the darkest and the ones that turned dark immediately. The top ones are barely visible.

The best part of it was when he popped them off. I counted 15...and then I was done with my first cupping. I am not sure the benefits, I was congested before and am not anymore. I am sleeping better, so who knows maybe the East knows a thing or two about medicine. Now who knows how long these things will last...


A close up...

No comments: