Tuesday, February 13, 2018

A LETTER TO MEI MEI ON YOUR 1ST BIRTHDAY


Dear Elea, 

It’s hard to know where to start, but I’ll start with thanking you. Thank you for completing us as a family and letting me enjoy your first year by soaking up every second. With you I knew in advance just how fast this first year would fly by and because of that I savored every laugh, smile, cry, babble, stumble, and clap. Everything about you is a joy to our lives. 

You are such a mix of quiet contentment and feisty desire. Your personality is always evolving, just like your ability to do new things. You mastered walking in what seems no time at all, which shouldn’t surprise me considering you understand Mandarin and English.  You are such a smiley baby, particularly at people. You laugh so hard and scrunch up your little nose and show your toothy grin to anyone who will watch.  

Elea, you doubled my heart in size, it sounds cliche but before you I didn’t know if I could love a child as much as I love your brother.  But from the moment Dr. Barini placed you on my chest I was in love all over again. Your full head of hair, your newborn cry, and your squishy face melted me from the inside. My love for you has grown with each passing moment I spend with you. I can’t help but wonder how you are going to change the world.

You have humbled me greatly this year, just when I thought I had everything figured out because it worked with your brother I realized I was so wrong. You like things differently than he did, and that is awesome because you retaught me how we are all different. It’s great you are different than Tae, I always want you to be true to yourself.  God created you, Elea Holbrook, and there is no one else on this entire Earth that is like you.  If I can teach you one thing in life it would be to see and value your worth. The world and people in it shouldn’t be where your value comes from, but rather your Creator. I struggled still struggle with this and I want you to learn it early. 

Motherhood is not for the faint of heart, but you my love make it easy. There isn’t anything I wouldn’t do to see you smile, hear that laugh, or to have you stumble into my arms. Thank you for being patient with me, your daddy, and Tae as we all figured out our new roles in our little family. I can’t wait to see what the next year holds, we love you Mei Mei. 

I love you desperately, 
Mama 


Elea and Mama February 12, 2017

Elea and Mama February 10, 2018 


No comments: