Friday, February 19, 2010

Fireworks!

Monday night in Dalian there was a huge fireworks display to bring in the New Year. If I have learned anything from living in China I have learned that Chinese people LOVE fireworks. It isn't abnormal to be woken up at 5 am from fireworks 20 yards from my window. You hear them constantly...daytime, nighttime, it doesn't make a difference. Fireworks are lit here to scare the evil spirits away when there is a wedding, new building, funeral...basically anything new. Veronica, Kara, Jess, Brandon, and I went into Dalian for two nights to celebrate the New Year...it did not disappoint. The fireworks were AMAZING...it was freezing and crowded(DC's 4th crowds got nothing on the Chinese mob we faced), but well worth it. Take a look for yourself...







We also went to some great restaurants and walked around the city. City life is way different than our little life here, I actually felt like I was in China. Where we live we tend to get a little spoiled because we have a "Western lifestyle", so I welcomed the culture with open arms. I am beginning to get used to the sound of a louggie (sp?) being hocked/spit and horns honking excessively. Overall it was a great time with great people. I am so thankful for my friends here. We have become one another's family here in China. It was great to celebrate the year of the Tiger with my faves.


The crew


The Year of the Tiger...

xoxo
Meg

No comments: