Friday, August 21, 2009

Friends, Basketball, and Chinese

The other day I was at recess duty(we have it once every two weeks) with some of the TAs. All but one of the TAs are local Chinese girls, one is an American husband of a teacher. Anyways, they are all continually learning English. I was talking with Emma and she asked me, "What is the meaning of the phrase...Don't eat the yellow snow?". I started to laugh and asked her where she heard that phrase. She said she was watching Friends. I told her it meant how if you are out in the snow you don't want to eat the yellow snow because that's where someone went to the bathroom. She was so cute, she started to laugh and say "Oh my goodness, that is so funny!".

On another note, I had my first experience with playing basketball with local Chinese guys. It was a blast. Although they cheat like crazy. I went with Jon, Joe, and Kiyko from DIAS. We were a team of four. The first game we were winning 6-1, you play to seven. All of a sudden they said okay now 0-0 we start to play. Jon warned us about this so we just kept having fun. The guys we played really good and funny. They love Jon, who is about 6-8, everything he does is hilarious to them. I played okay and survived, probably because it was only half court. The only thing bad about it was I had to guard the smelly guy. Everyone felt bad for me :) We played for about an hour then caught the bus back to school.

I also had my first Chinese lesson on Friday. It was good, I learned lots of good conversational stuff. It is really hard! I was frustrated with not being able to catch on quickly, but I think it will come if I keep practicing. I will let you know how it goes.

That's it for now...my first full week was a success. My students are fabulous, I couldn't ask for more. Today is a luau for everyone at our apartment complex. It should be fun.

xoxo
Meg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so glad you're doing so well! Funny stories. Keep them coming! :-) Love you! How was church today?