Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter at the Praia

Us on the beach...
This weekend we got a little adventurous and rented a car.  Having a car was glorious and I feel such freedom to go wherever my little heart desires.  Of course my heart desired to head to the beach, Guarujá in Santos.  Normally it should take about 2.5-3 hours, but this weekend was not only Easter, but had a Brazilian holiday tacked on too.  To avoid traffic we got up at 3:00 AM and started our drive.  Our wonderful friend Pam recommended a great hotel right on the beach and even let us borrow her GPW (Thanks Pamcakes!).  We managed to avoid most traffic except for a ludicrous toll right off the exit of the only road heading to the beach (not the best of engineering).  We arrived around right in time to take a napzinho before heading to the beach.

Liberated...how I felt after purchasing my first Brazilian bikini bottoms (wedgie and all)!
We literally spent all weekend on the beach or at our hotel's pool.  I love Brazilian beach culture. You could literally show up in street clothes and end up lounging on the beach with a drink in your hand, acai in your belly, and a bikini on your body.  Everything is provided there (for a cost of course), all you need to do is show up.  We managed to try all the different delicacies, but had multiple helpings of acai and pastels.  

Is there anything better than acai on the beach?
Another reason I love the Brazilian beach scene is people watching. I once heard someone say that the beach is a Brazilian's living room.  So true. I loved watching families gather, kids play, lovers enjoy one another, and friends making memories.  Everyone is so relaxed at the beach and just want to enjoy the company and the sun.  Pretty great if you ask me.  We even has some guys near us playing Brazilian music.  Perfect I tell you.

The little boy with the ball must have chased it for a good two hours

One night we walked to the top rated restaurant in the city and it did not disappoint.  Being the gringos we are we got there before it opened so we meandered over to a local bar.  We enjoyed a (very strong) drink and talking with the locals before heading back to the restaurant. We coined the phrase "vacation hungry" meaning that you aren't really hungry but you can eat because it's vacation.  Well this weekend we coined it's partner, "vacation full", meaning you are so full you feel disgusting.  We ate until we literally couldn't eat anymore. 

Homemade Cachaça 
Date night at the local bar
Walks on the beach make me happy.
It was a great weekend with my love.  We had a blast getting away from reality and soaking up the sun.  I am so lucky to be married to my best friend and love of my life. We never run out of things to talk about and always laugh the day away.  I'm so grateful to do life with him.



No comments: