Sunday, January 19, 2014

Surviving Sea Kayaking

One thing about my husband is he loves kayaking.  Anytime he we have the opportunity to do it we do (Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines)!  I don't mind it, but would enjoy it much more if I didn't have to paddle. :)  So I thought it would be fun for him us to go kayaking in the fjords of Patagonia.  

I scheduled it for our last full day in Puerto Varas.  We were picked up from our hotel bright and early.  We drove for awhile, and ended up at the company's headquarters.  A quick change in to sexy warm wetsuits and the loading of kayaks and we were on our way. 

My sexy man
Once we arrived to our "put in" location we were again slapped in the face with God's beauty.  We unloaded the kayaks and got a quick lesson before heading out into the water.  After about 10 minutes I was good for the day, that's when we found out we would be going a cool 16 km.  Hmmmm...

Before our journey 
Jess and I were assigned what the guide called the "divorce kayak". He said it's a true test for couples.  We were confident we could make it work.  FYI-- During the test Jess came up with a new nickname for me: Squirrel (think dog from Up) because my paddling is so erratic.  To my defense I just got lost in the beauty of our surroundings. :)


About 10 km in we stopped at a cute traditional farm house.  I was glad we did, because I was secretly getting tired and I didn't want to be the first of our group to ask for a break.  We had an amazing lunch, got a little tour, chatted awhile, and headed back in the kayaks.


We slid back in our kayak and kayaked the remaining 5 or so km successfully.  I would dare to say we even had a good rhythm for a couple of minutes.


The top things we learned to survive the divorce kayak.  #1: Communication is key. A count doesn't really help, but using nice loving voices does.


#2: Don't take yourself too seriously. It's not a race and if it is, you probably won't win taking pictures along the way (not very professional).


# 3: Have fun and enjoy the ride.  How many other times will you get to do this with your love. Laugh, splash water, and sing to your hearts content.

No comments: