Friday, August 9, 2013

Putzing Around in Portugal




While studying in Madrid this summer I had the chance to go to Portugal with some new friends. I was a little anxious as I had tons of work to do and had just met these seven people, but it did not disappoint. We spent the weekend laughing so hard there may or may not have been some peeing of the pants. 



The weekend started out in hilarious fashion just driving out of Madrid.  None of the girls in my car could drive stick (including me!) so we had to get an Audi automatic (poor us). Originally we weren't going to get a GPS because Callie had printed out Mapquest directions (which had 35,987 steps just to LEAVE Madrid). But we decided to splurge and got the GPS and oh am I so glad we did. Otherwise I think we would still be driving around Madrid or somewhere else in Europe. As crazy as it sounds, the car ride was actually one of my favorite parts of the trip because I got to know these girls in an honest, fun, and personal level so quickly. 



Once we got to Madrid the fun didn't stop.  We spent the weekend laughing, eating, sightseeing, and much more.  I will say if you like a good pastry you need to go to Portugal. It is also the place for you if you love steak swimming in butter on a cruise ship decorated restaurant. I would suggest going late at night so you have some great photographers and people watching. 



 Part of traveling I love the most is just putzing around with no plans.  It is so unlike me since I love a good plan, but I find that you discover the best places this way.  This trip could have ended in a disaster--eight strangers in a foreign country--but it was great because we all had the same idea...#putzingaround.





Another thing Portugal Europe has going for it is the amazing architecture. I'm no expert, but man I could just spend a day wandering the streets and taking in the buildings.  But of course I would have to stop for some legendary egg pastries.





I'm so glad I didn't hole myself up in my hot room doing work all weekend, otherwise I would have missed out on some great sights, food, and most importantly friendships. 




I can't wait to see what next summer has in store. Who know's maybe I'll learn stick shift by then. :P Sidenote--these pictures are from my awesome friend Emily, since I didn't bring my Nikon. 




No comments: