Monday, October 1, 2012

What It's All About

Friday night we had a home game to end the long week.  On Thursday afternoon Jess and I gave a presentation on a writing activity to differentiate across the subjects.  We spent a lot of time preparing and getting everything ready for the hour long presentation.  It became very apparent that we work in different styles, after some debating over what to include, the order, etc we finally agreed.  The presentation went well and we got feedback from the teachers that came so we can improve it even more for our AASSA pressentation this week.

Okay let me get off that tangent and back on topic...the game on Friday.  We were playing a team that we beat by a lot last time so we were hopeful everyone would get to play.  The boys work really hard and it's always nice when they get rewarded with seeing the court.  We have a young man on the team that is mentally challenged.  He has a great attitude and EVERYONE at school knows him because of his outgoing personality and knock-knock jokes.  He rarely gets in the games as we are tied for first place in the league and it is a competitive team. 

Well Friday night we were up and he got in the game!  I helped prepare him by giving him signals and positions to stay in (on defense stand on the right elbow and on offense stand right in front the the basket) so he wouldn't get confused.  He is a great listener and always goes to the correct spot.  He was so excited before going in, he kept telling me he was going to make his parents proud and use his power.  We had him go stretch, so some of the older guys went with him to the end of the bench and got him ready. 

The boys on this team are amazing.  I'm talking world class kids.  They are supportive and encouraging of him and I have never heard/seen anyone say a nasty comment about him. I actually think they are his biggest fans and want him to get in every game. 

So fast forward and he gets in the game.  The whole crowd is cheering him on as he runs up and down the court. His legs are moving as fast as they can and he goes to the exact spot I told him.  We told him to put his hand up and stay there...that's what he did.  If his hands could've gone out of the roof they would have.  Then comes offense...after two tries of shooting he MAKES a basket.  He jumped up and down forgetting to play defense. 

I immediately tear up and get goosebumps.  I mean isn't this what sports are all about? well that and winning (come on I am a Scott!).  The kid next to me on the bench looked at me shocked and confused, "Are you crying?".  Yes, yes I did.  I was so proud of him.  I even cried the next day telling a friend. 

His favorite saying is "Sun's out guns out" (don't ask me).  He is on the left with some of the other guys.  Love these boys.

No comments: