Saturday, November 14, 2009

Three Months


I have now been living in China a little over three months. Writing that sentence seems so surreal, but normal at the same time. I have become accustomed to life here in Dalian. I don’t feel so out of place as I did when I first arrived. I now consider it normal to have to walk through plastic strips hanging in the entrance of stores I go to. It is normal to have to dodge a car in the street. It is normal to see a baby or toddler using the restroom in public. It has become normal for me to greet the guards of our apartment complex every morning on my way to work. The stares as I walk by people are normal to me now. The sound of Mandarin is almost like white noise to me now. I am used to people in the grocery store trying to sell me everything. It's normal to hear fireworks at anytime during the day or night.


I have fallen in love with the Chinese culture and people. The people are so genuine and happy. They almost always go out of their way to help a ignorant foreigner(me). They have a strong work ethic. For such a harsh history, the Chinese don't use it as an excuse. They don't complain or throw pity parties, they just move on and smile. The Chinese people I have encountered want to learn from me just as much as I want to learn from them.


I used to laugh at the stares or "HELLLLO"s I would get when I was out. I have finally realized some Chinese people have never seen an American and my influence on them could be the only representation they have of America. It makes me sad to see other foreigners being rude to people here or acting with entitlement just because we are Americans. It has become apparent to me why people around the world don’t like Americans. I am proud to be an American and feel so blessed, but I would never degrade someone just because I am an American and they aren’t. Just because someone is a driver or a waitress doesn’t mean they are dumb. The norms here aren’t the same as in the States. The education system is much different. It isn’t a right like it is in the States, it is more of a privilege. People appreciate the art of learning and it shows. They don’t take things for granted, instead use every opportunity they can to learn even the littlest of things. Sorry this post was so random, just wanted to share some thoughts.

No comments: